Through The Trees Book Trailer

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

To write about our journey or my journey?


So the month has begun and I have been trying to write a little something every day. I figure at some point (hopefully, this week) I will begin a rhythm with writing my next book. I look at my next book in two different ways, which may be the culprit for my writer's block. Reaching The Castle Wall is about the journey to finding true love.

On one hand, I can write about efforts I made to find prince charming, all the frogs I had to kiss. I do want to have some diversity in its content. I do not just want it to be love poems. I have found stirring up the heartache of the past to be rather difficult. I am in a very happy place and just can't seem to connect to those old feelings. I figure I can use actual fairy tales as a means to at least focus on empathizing with that heartache.

On the other hand, I could write about what happened when I found my prince charming, and our journey. He started as just a friend, and stayed just a friend (albeit, my very best friend) for about six years. Once we decided to be more, or more so, admitted we were in love, things moved very quickly after that. We figured dating was for people who didn't know each other and wanted to be sure they were right for each other. We already knew each other so very well. We had no doubt. A month later we bought a house together and about four months after that we were married. This June will be year five.

So I have a choice to make. I can either focus on writing about our journey, or I can dig into the past and write about my journey. In the meantime, I am composing a list of writing prompts. This book is to be based and inspired by actual fairy tales. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, etc.... I won't write so much about the story of Rapunzel (for example) but perhaps how I relate to Rapunzel. I will reference a tall tower or a long braid, almost just hinting at who inspired the poem. Also, some of the keywords will simply be from that era kings, queens, crowns, dragons, moat, swords and armor.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has a favorite fairy tale or references I should consider (poison apple, glass slipper, golden thread, etc...) I am sure there are a number of words I am not even thinking of.

Like the oil painting above? There are a few more here, I got it from this site: http://www.buzzfeed.com/samimain/gorgeous-disney-ladies-as-if-they-were-oil-portraits#2qpit42

No comments:

Post a Comment