Through The Trees Book Trailer

Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween Traditions




Happy Halloween Everyone! The big day is here! I felt my page needed a little holiday update. I am so excited to dress up my little boy in his dragon costume. This will be the first year he can actually walk himself from house to house. Though he only knows about five words I am sure expressions will speak for themselves. A cutey like him is going to get a lot of candy. With my mother-in-law on candy duty, I will be able to walk the block as well and take lots of pictures.

So glad Halloween fell on a Friday. I usually work a half day from skipping lunch all week. There is a pot of soaking beans calling my name at home right now. I figure 1PM to 7PM is a good 6 hours of cooking and we should be able to enjoy a big bowl by the time trick or treating starts.

So today's question is: do I keep my bean stew recipe a secret or "spill the beans"? .... I've never been good at secrets. I just get too excited. My husband gets his Christmas presents the first week of December. So my beans, this will be year number three. How many years before you have a tradition?

Anyways, I take two bags of black beans and soak them overnight, then I rinse and drain them, refill the water and start the pot on the stove set to boil. I settle in a couple of good sized smoke ham hocks, chop up a whole red onion, once it hits a boil I reduce to simmer, and let is stew for hours.

Towards the end I add a few spices and flavors. A little Worcestershire sauce, tablespoon or so of minced garlic, salt, and pepper, all just to taste. This recipe is best kept simple. Oh, and one more thing, I buy a bag of bacon ends crisp them up and throw them on top of my bowl with a little shredded cheddar cheese. That's still simple right? I think so. Ham hock melted off the bone mixed into creamy black beans, there is nothing better on a cold Halloween night, or every night the next week after for that matter. After trick-or-treating we will fire up the fire pit and make some s'mores. Ending the perfect Halloween night.


No comments:

Post a Comment