Through The Trees Book Trailer

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

I am going to do a slam :[


Well, it's official. I have signed up on nanowrimo.org with intent of writing quite a bit next month. Does poetry count for a month designated to novel writing? Probably not, but I think a goal of heavy writing all month is a good idea. It will be refreshing to really get into my current book. I gave myself a deadline for finishing. It has to be ready and published by Valentine's Day 2016. That gives me well over a year, to write, have it edited, some illustrations, and publish. I am excited to see what I come up with this time. Most days, I agree with the quote above. Everyone's poetry is so different from mine. I suppose we are all very different and it just seems like I stand out because it is my own writing.

At the co-book signing I shared the audience with two other writers. We all had a common thread in our writing but were all incredibly different in how we wrote and spoke. I know I haven't followed up on how my first signing went, that is simply because I didn't want to think about it till now. The truth is it was absolutely terrifying. I got myself so worked up with nerves, I am surprised I even got through it. I shook like a leaf, I had a hard time looking up at everyone. It was awful.

On the other hand, I had such support from my family. Sometimes putting yourself out there can really surprise you. They really came through for me.  I think my main issue wasn't just sitting in front of others and reading, it was the intro I had prepared. For the first time ever, I spoke openly about my childhood, about the verbal and emotional abuse I endured and recovered from. I didn't think that would be as difficult as it was. I wonder if there will always be a sense of shame that accompanies that history, or if I will ever truly just accept its happening and be able to speak about it as if I wasn't speaking about myself.... perhaps that is the key to future readings. Pretend I am talking about someone other than myself, but then what would happen to the emotion in the words I am reading?

I guess we will find out. I have decided that I will do a poetry slam in the next month. Listening to the other poet/author, who is a veteran when it comes to slams, I feel I have now an idea of the style and tempo that would be suited for such an event. I thought to myself as I listened to her, "I need something far more gritty than flowers and trees." I have had a little something I thought would be appropriate for a slam and after listening to her I think it will suit very well.

I look forward to your feedback....

It's titled "Triggered"

I doubt myself now
Seems my way is truly lost
For so long you told me who I was
And who I am to be today

I live in this doubt
I question everything I say and do
Nothing is without rhyme or reason
So few are moments of self acceptance

Who is this person you made me to be?
Tell Me! What did you want for me?
Was it truly just to serve you?
Indentured to your every need

Floundering without your voice
Slumped without your backbone
Is this really what you want for me?
To only live as you say

What mother wants this for her child?
What Queen births slaves?
The whip cracked along my back
And scars that still remain

My finger is always on the trigger
It seeks only you and I find you
In every person I meet
And they become my victim

I love them never as you did me
A true love as it is supposed to be
And yet I anticipate that you
Will come creeping out of their mouths

And I am always ready for you
With my finger on the trigger
And then it occurs-it happens
The moment when I think I see you

In an expression or a phrase
I hear your voice. I pull the trigger
…… And shot the one I love

He looks at me in shock
He is appalled that I could do such a thing
He is betrayed
And no longer knows me

I don’t see you now
Your face could not hold such hurt
As one who truly loved me
I only see the pain I caused the one I love

He was never you
Your voice, your way
Never came from him at all
It came from me

I aim with my finger on the trigger.



No comments:

Post a Comment