Through The Trees Book Trailer

Friday, October 17, 2014

Are you excited for Halloween?!

The only comfort of such cold weather is the coming holidays. Idaho is in the 40's right now and my still Californian blood has some serious issues with that. You would think after 20 plus years you would acclimate to a climate, but alas, I recall an Autumn in the 60's and a place where oak trees were never bare of their thorny leaves.

Although Thanksgiving and Christmas are great, I have to say that Halloween is my fave. Growing up in the mountains meant no trick or treating. A parent who has the religious outlook similar to Carrie's mother (The movie, of course) meant no dressing up or celebrating whatsoever. I remember two children's books I had one the "real" story of Halloween and the other the "real" story of Easter (yes, the Easter bunny died very early in my youth)

When I became a teen we moved to Idaho, where I now, still, reside. We lived in an actual neighborhood with lots of kids. So this meant Halloween was spent in the dark with all the lights off so that no one would come to our door. I can remember a few "Harvest" parties that our christian church organized. Something for the kids who were deprived of all the fun.

So you can imagine, as an adult, my excitement regarding my independence to do "Whatever the hell I want!" No worries, I did not trick or treat as an adult, but I did dress up EVERY SINGLE YEAR from then on.

Now I have a little one of my own. Last year we threw a big Halloween Trick or Treating party. All the kids came over and went door to door together. I made my traditional black bean with ham hock stew (The best thing I ever ate in cold weather!) I won't make it until Halloween so I can anticipate it for a month before I get to have it. My little one will not even be two yet and still he will be dressed up (as a dragon, too cute) and go with daddy around the neighborhood. At least this year he can walk.

There are just certain memories that I want him. I think I am off to a good start.

A Halloween inspired poem for you all today.....because "I can write about whatever I want! Even Halloween"


No comments:

Post a Comment